Software Development Engineer, Core Services
Livemocha is the world’s largest language community, and one of the hottest companies out there. We are the #1 language learning software solution with over 16 million registered users worldwide. Livemocha has created a global social network to change the way people learn languages. We are headquartered in beautiful downtown Seattle, Washington with satellite offices in the DC area, Florida and Brazil. We have a big vision, a talented team, and a high-energy culture which make it fun to come to work each day. If you’re looking for a cool company with an opportunity to disrupt a $50 billion market, you’ve found it.
Livemocha is looking for a Software Development Engineer to contribute to development of its core service oriented infrastructure for its next generation platform. The Core Services Engineer will design, build and maintain systems that support user and content management for a global language education platform. Candidates for this role must have demonstrated experience developing in a service oriented environment. The ideal candidate will have professional experience in building highly functional middleware for large scale distributed systems. This is a rare opportunity to work on a project from whiteboard to deployment to data-driven iterative improvement. The work will be extremely hands-on with all team members contributing directly to both design and production code. Candidates who have a track record of excelling in highly collaborative, team oriented environments are preferred.
All candidates must meet the following requirements:
- 5 or more years as a professional server side software engineer using Java or C# as the primary programming language.
- Working knowledge of relational databases and programming with SQL.
- Working understanding of object oriented design principles and practice.
- Practical understanding of operational considerations for distributed systems.
- Experience in development of live, data intensive back end systems with requirements for both batch and real-time processing.
- Experience with large scale data management.
- Practical understanding of test driven development and automated quality control.
- Experience working in an agile program management environment.
Preferred candidates will also meet one or more of these additional requirements:
- Experience with contemporary frameworks for data storage.
- Experience with PHP and/or Python.
- Experience integrating cloud-hosted services.
- Experience developing in a service oriented model, including management of service orchestration and monitoring.
- Experience working in a data driven improvement cycle.